New student move-in day includes incoming First Year students and Transfer students who did NOT participate in Summer Experimental Foundation Studies (SEFS), and are not participating in any pre-orientation events.
*Students will be able to schedule their move in appointments between August 29th – September 2nd, 2020. Students will be allowed one guest to assist with move in.*
BEFORE YOU LEAVE: Know your hall and room. This information has been emailed to students.
For 15 West:
A. Navigate to 15 Westminster Street, Providence RI.
B. From Route I-95 northbound or southbound take Exit 22A for Downtown Providence
– Go straight onto Memorial Boulevard and turn right onto Westminster Street.
– 15 West (Rhode Island Hospital Trust Company building) is on the corner of Westminster and Memorial.
For Charles Landing:
A. Navigate to 73 Charles Street, Providence RI.
B. From Route I-95 northbound or southbound take Exit 22A for Downtown Providence.
- Go straight onto Memorial Boulevard and turn left on Washington Street at the 4th traffic light.
- Cross the river and turn left onto North Main Street at the first traffic light.
- Continue on N. Main Street until the road splits just after the second traffic light.
- Go left at the split and the Charles Landing leasing office will be the building on the right after the parking lot.
For all other halls:
Plan to enter the RISD Campus past the First Baptist Church on Waterman Street. For your GPS/ Navigation purposes we suggest 2 Waterman Street, Providence, RI 02903. The intersection of North Main and Waterman would also work. Once you get onto Waterman Street, follow the color coded signs for your particular hall/house. (see below)
Follow signs to the unloading area for your hall/house. When you reach the unloading zone you will unload your entire vehicle onto the sidewalk. Drivers must stay with their vehicles to be ready to quickly move the vehicle on to parking.
Students in Larned and Barstow House should follow signs for Nickerson Hall, students in all other houses or Colonial should follow signs for Carpenter House
Keep in mind:
- To help identify your belongings, and to protect them from any inclement weather (fingers crossed), please make sure everything you pack is labeled with your name, building and room on it (masking tape works great).
- We suggest using boxes, crates, and storage bins when possible. Picking up your closet full of hanging clothes and dumping it in your back seat is NOT good packing!
- Wrapping things in garbage bags will help keep them dry if the weather isn’t cooperating with us!
- A group of upper-class students called ‘RISD Muscles’ will be on hand to help you load your things into your hall, so you don’t need to do it all alone! That said, be sure to pack your things in a way that you are ok with someone else carrying them.
- IF you have not emailed your j-peg passport style photo for your RISD ID, please send it ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be aware that a number of people will be coming into Providence during Labor Day Weekend for Waterfire. Please plan your arrival and departure to and from campus accordingly.
Once you have unloaded, you will be directed to follow signs to park your vehicle. The Office of Residence Life has purchased parking for the first 250 vehicles to arrive in nearby MetroPark lots. You will be given a parking pass at your unloading station, and the route will be marked with signs. If space is no longer available in these lots, families may also park in any RISD Staff lot on Sunday only. The RISD Rides shuttle service will be looping campus to assist families with getting to and from locations, including parking.
If you are parking in the MetroPark lots, you will need to remove your vehicle from the lot by 4:30PM. At that time you are welcome to seek other local parking to stay on campus, but any vehicles left in the MetroPark lots may be towed as those lots could only be reserved until 4:30PM.
Please let us know if there are any concerns about your check in date or time. If you plan on arriving after 2:00PM on Sunday, September 1, please contact the Residence Life Office at email@example.com to make arrangements.
Packages: Please contact the RISD Mailroom (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions regarding shipping your belongings to campus prior to your arrival.