Short Term Guest Policy
A guest is defined as someone who is not a currently enrolled RISD student. The intent of guest privileges is to allow for reasonable visitation by a resident’s friends – not long-term or live-in visitors. In fairness to those paying the room fee, repeated visits by the same guest are strongly discouraged and may be denied. Residents may not admit or utilize contractors or other individuals whose purpose is to perform work or services for them under this guest policy.
Resident students who host non-RISD individuals as guests must abide by the following:
- Guest registration forms must be completed any time a guest is staying in the residential areas between the hours of midnight and 7 AM.
- No guests under 16 years of age are permitted.
- Students may host guests for a maximum of three nights in a seven-day period.
- No student may host more than two guests at any one time.
- Students may host guests for a maximum of 12 nights per semester (eight per Wintersession).
- Hosts must seek permission from all roommates before hosting an overnight guest.
- Each guest must present a photo ID at the time of registration.
- Guests must keep a copy of the guest registration form on them at all times and must present it to any RISD campus official when asked to do so.
- Guests must adhere to, and abide by, all RISD policies.
- A guest’s behavior is the responsibility of the host student.
- Guests should not enter other residential areas without being escorted by the host student.
- The host student is subject to fines, disciplinary action and financial responsibility for any of his/her guest’s actions.
- Public areas may not be used for guest accommodations.
- Guest privileges may be revoked at any time.
Guest registration forms should be completed at Quad Public Safety or the Public Safety Desk at 15 West for residents of that building. Hosts are not permitted to loan their ID/access card to others.
Long Term Guest Policy
At the discretion of the Director of Residence Life, permission may be granted for established Domestic/Long Term Partners of RISD students, or other individuals affiliated with the institution, to reside in designated housing as a Residential Guest. A Residential Guest is defined as a non-RISD affiliate with independent access to a residence facility. Unlike typical guests, who are granted access to RISD facilities through their host, Residential Guests may hold their own RISD issued key/ID card and may access approved facilities without an escort. No RISD student can be a Residential Guest.
Currently Charles Landing one-bedroom private apartment units are the only locations where Residential Guests are permitted to live with students. A Residential Guest fee of $1000 per semester is charged to the account of their RISD Student partner. Students must apply to have a Residential Guest through the Residence Life Office. Residential Guests who are granted permission to reside in RISD housing derive their right to occupancy from their student partner, and may continue to reside in RISD housing only as long as their student partner does so. Furthermore, all Residential Guests are subject to the terms and conditions of this contract, and must abide by all rules and regulations that apply to other student residents of RISD housing. Permission may be withdrawn at any time. The withdrawal of permission for a Residential Guest to live in RISD housing will not relieve the RISD student partner of their responsibilities under this housing contract.
To request permission for a long term guest complete the Long Term Guest Residential Policy.