Students who live on or off-campus can register their vehicles with the Residence Life Office to receive a parking permit via the Housing Portal. Registration for parking must be completed every year.
Parking permits are only valid at the Charles Landing parking lot located at 500 N Main Street. This is approximately a half-mile north of campus.
Safety and Overnight Parking
The parking lot at Charles Landing is unattended and students keeping a car on campus need to understand the risks which come with parking overnight in an urban environment. Parking on campus is always at your own risk. Be sure to have good auto insurance coverage should damage or theft occur.
Some tips for keeping your car safe are:
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Enable your active alarm after getting out of your car (this is often done just by hitting the lock button on your fob until the horn honks)
- Utilize locking lug nuts to prevent wheel theft
- Invest in devices to prevent or recover stolen vehicles
During the winter months vehicles must be moved around to allow for snow removal and so long term parking over breaks may be problematic if there is no one to move your parked (and snowed in) car.
Full time RISD students can purchase temporary parking permits for themselves or guests for a small fee. This can also be done via the Housing Portal. We ask that this request is made at least 48 hours prior to needing the permit to allow for processing. Please contact Residence Life after submitting if the permit is needed within 48 hours.
Cost and payment
|Term||On-Campus Student||Off-Campus Student|
|CE Summer Programs|
- Permits are billed at the beginning of each term despite the academic year being registered for in the fall.
- Full-time students who register for Fall and Spring semesters get the Winter Session for free.
- RISD Students: We are not able to accept cash nor credit card payments; all payments must be made through the student’s financial account with the institution.
- Non-RISD Students: We will accept check or money order as payment.
Getting your permit
All parking permits, including temporary permits, can be picked up in the Residence Life Office located at 30 Waterman. Office hours are M-F 8:30AM – 4:30PM.
If a permit is not picked up within 7 days of registration, it will be mailed to the student’s mailbox on campus.
**Note that vehicles without parking permits adhered to them are subject to ticketing by Public Safety.**
Questions or Concerns?
Contact the Residence Life Office at email@example.com or by calling 401-454-6650.